Wednesday, December 17, 2008

Posi differential

well i found a killer good deal on a Posi (limited slip) differential. only $50 instead of the normal $400+.

so now i have two of the most crucial parts of the car. the diff, and the engine, both of which i got great deals on.

check it out!



now for those of you wondering how the heck im going to make this work with a chain driven vehicle, try and follow me here.

i'll take the ring gear off (the largest gear visible in the pictures) and bolt a sprocket in its place. now i will have something that looks like this:


next up is to create a cylindrical housing to hold grease and protect the delicate internals of the differential. a sort of sleeve that spans from the inside edge of the sprocket, to the inside edge of the opposing bearing. something a bit like this:

notice the smooth housing to the right of the sprocket? the inside of that is filled with grease that would normally be contained withing the differential housing on a car.

next step is to make a carrier. this would be a triangular plate on either side of the differential, with holes that the CV axle splines and come through and attach to the differential. the top of this triangular formation will be held to the chassis with two threaded rods that can be tightened and loosened for chain tension adjustments. the whole housing comes out like so:
this particular example has a disc brake mounted to the caliper, instead of brakes out at the wheels.

in a nutshell, thats a chain drive limited slip differential! lots of work ahead of me on this one!

4 comments:

S U S T I said...

Hi. Iam Aniket from India. Iam aspiring to take part in Formula SAE competition in Australia this Dec. Iam using a Kawasaki 500cc engine and wish to employ a chain driven differential. Can you mail me back a detailed procedure of customizing a limited slip differential into a chain driven one? Or can you please suggest me some option to buy it fully functional? please reply at

aniketvagha@yahoo.co.in

Tanner Kleist said...

I would also very much like to know how you customized the diff into a chain driven one. I have looked at just buying a chain driven LSD online but they are like $1500 and I don't really wanna spend that much on one. If you could just e-mail me at tannerkleist@yahoo.com that would be awesome. Thanks

Unknown said...

hi, im gona make a buggy, i just dont wana pay a ridiculas prics for a differential. i can get 1 off an old car for like £40. but once i have it i dont get how u put it in another casing or where to get a casing from. could u help? if u can could u email me at r_simo_93@hotmail.com thanks

Unknown said...

Can you help.. I would like to see this build too.. I have 2 limited slip duff's I can use. Show me how to build one. I would greatly appreciate it.. jamyou05@gmail.com